Sunday, July 17, 2011

Whistle While You Work

Question:  What's the difference between the Dole Whip Soft Serve and the Dole Whip Soft Serve Swirl?

That's the most frequently asked question that we get at the Aloha Isle.  We also get asked if we have chocolate or cones, both of which we don't and they're clearly not on the menu.  Or you'll get the occasional guest who buys ice cream with dimes and pennies.  Or perhaps that day a certain pineapple/vanilla ice cream machine will be malfunctioning, yet even after telling guests, they don't believe you.

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, it can get frustrating.  It is during these times when I really need to just take a step back and feel God's grace and love.  This reminder keeps my sense of joy going throughout the work day, even if I am tired or frustrated or whatever.  Honestly, though, looking past the small annoyances throughout the day, I love my job.  I love getting to sing 'Happy Birthday' to random guests wearing their little birthday buttons.  I love making giant pineapple floats and seeing a little kids' eyes widen as I hand it over the counter to them.  I love telling guests where Pirates of the Caribbean is.

I love the people that I work with.  We have so much fun together making ice cream.  We'll joke around and just have fun with it, even after an 8 or 9 hour shift.  Yesterday, at around 9/10PM, Sunshine Tree Terrace was empty!  No guests in sight.  So I just started singing Disney songs with my coworker.  We also got talking about life and stuff.  Got to slip in my testimony conversationally, which was super neat.  Also got to understand a bit more about her life background.  I love hearing people's stories.  I find them so interesting.  Especially since we work with a lot of international students.  We all have such different life experiences, but at the end of today, we make ice cream swirls right next to each other.

Also, I talked about being a Bible Study leader and Discipler.  That's been so much fun, but also a different type of work.  Our last B-stud was good.  It was about that taboo topic on purity, and it was in a coed setting...which never happens.  It was great though because that topic doesn't ever get talked about with both men and women together, so it was good to get the opinions of everyone.  We did split up part way through so that we could go deeper with our respective genders and small groups.  As for discipling, I met with both of my guys.  We went out "sharing" (talking to random people about spiritual things) and had a couple decent conversations.  Then we went through other material.  I love these two guys.  I'm so excited to learn from both of them.  I can relate to them in very different ways, which keeps things fresh.

I can't believe that I have exactly 2 weeks of work left.  The summer just flew right by.  But it's been so worth it.  The relationships that I've built with other people on project and with coworkers have been so rewarding.  I've grown so much closer to God by reading more of the Bible with purpose, talking to him a lot more, and just being here with 39 other peers who have the same intentions. 

Hi Ho, Hi Ho...it's off to work I go.  Literally.  I'm leaving in approximately 11 min.

P.S.  The Answer:  A Dole Whip Soft Serve Swirl is just two of our flavors swirled together, while the Dole Whip Soft Serve has one flavor only.

No comments:

Post a Comment